UNIT 1 - LIFE PLANS

VOCABULARY

  1. leave school
  2. get a degree
  3. travel the word
  4. start a career
  5. get promoted
  6. settle down
  7. start a family
  8. retire

WAS/WERE GOING TO

Usamos was/were going to para hablar sobre planes que hicimos en el pasado y no sucedieron o no sucederán en el futuro.

RECORDEMOS:

Sujeto + was/were + verbo en infinitivo

  • I - was
  • YOU - were
  • HE - was
  • SHE - was
  • WE - were
  • THEY - were

EJEMPLO: 

  • We were going to spend the weekend in Paris

Después de was/were going to, siempre usamos infinitivos.

EJEMPLOS: 

  • I was going to… (Yo iba a…)
  • You were going to… (Tú ibas a…)
  • He was going to… (Él iba a…)
  • She was going to… (Ella iba a…)
  • It was going to… (Eso iba a…)
  • We were going to… (Nosotros íbamos a…)
  • You were going to… (Usted iba a…)
  • They were going to… (Ellos iban a…)

Negaciones y preguntas con was / were going to

También se puede usar was / were going to para formar preguntas y negaciones.


NEGACION:

  • wasn’t going to get the job.
  • He decided he wasn’t going to move to London.

PREGUNTA:

  • Didn’t you say you were going to ask her out?


UNOS EJEMPLOS MAS PARA PRACTICAR :)

  1. I was going to see you tomorrow.
  2. He was going to visit her next week.
  3. They were going to eat out tonight.
  4. She was going to leave for Europe on Monday.
  5. She was going to wait me after the show.
  6. I was going to get up early tomorrow.
  7. It was going to rain today.
  8. You were going to study to be a lawyer.
  9. We were going to stay home tonight.
  10. They were going to build a summer home.


PERFECT MODALS

1. Regrets or judgments: should have + past participle

Usamos should have + past participle para hablar de cosas de las que nos arrepentimos.

EJEMPLO:

  • I got really wet walking home last night, I should have taken an umbrella.
  • I should have called you sooner.
  • You should have spoken to me before deciding.
  • Sarah talked all the way through the movie. I should not have invited her to the cinema.
  • I'm really tired today. I should not have stayed awake so late last night.
  • I shouldn't have shouted at her.

2. Possibility: may have / might have + past participle

La estructura may / might + past participle se usa para hablar de la posibilidad de que algo haya sucedido en el pasado. También podría usarse para decir que algo fue cierto en el pasado.

  • May: Subject + may + have + past participle +…
  • Might: Subject + might + have + past participle + …

EJEMPLO: 
  • He may have told her, since he had talked about wanting to text her.
  • This plant is quite dry, John might have forgotten to water it.
  • We might have been a little tough on him. 

3. Ability(OR possibility): could have + past participle

Could have + past participle significa que algo fue posible en el pasado, o tuviste la capacidad de hacer algo en el pasado, pero no lo hiciste. 

EJEMPLO: 
  • I could have stayed up late, but I decided to go to bed early.
  • They could have won the race, but they didn't try hard enough.
  • Julie could have bought the book, but she borrowed it from the library instead.
  • He could have studied harder, but he was too lazy and that's why he failed the exam.
Couldn't have + past participle significa que algo no fue posible en el pasado, incluso si hubieras querido hacerlo.

EJEMPLO:
  • I couldn't have arrived any earlier. There was a terrible traffic jam (= it was impossible for me to have arrived any earlier).
  • He couldn't have passed the exam, even if he had studied harder. It's a really, really difficult exam.

4. Certainty: would have + past participle

podemos usar would have + past participle  para hablar sobre algo que querías hacer pero no hiciste.

EJEMPLO: 
  • If I had had enough money, I would have bought a car
  • I would have gone to the party, but I was really busy.
  • I would have called you, but I didn't know your number.

5. Conclusions: must have + past participle

Usamos must have + past participle cuando estamos seguros de lo que pasó.

EJEMPLO:

  • The lights are off. They must have gone out.
  • I know you love chocolate. It must have been difficult to say “no” to that piece of cake.
  • John never called you last night? He must have been working late.
  • Frank failed the exam. He must not have been paying attention in class.
  • I never see John and Claire together anymore. They must have separated.














Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

UNIT 2 - HOLIDAY AND TRADITIONS